DEEP DIVE: we're hiring a Unity Developer!
Time commitment: Nov 2021 - April 2022
Salary: $15000 CAD flat fee
Reviewing applications starting October 22nd until position is filled
We (Craig Fahner and Matthew Waddell) are building an interactive 3D artwork entitled Deep Dive, which seeks to reveal the extent of algorithmic surveillance, data collection and commodification in the everyday spaces of the web. Viewers plunge into an interactive narrative, in which their “data double” explores an underwater world populated with clickbait detritus. Each time the viewer fixes their gaze on a particular item, data is stored on their supposed “interests.” As a result, the underwater environment becomes increasingly saturated with other objects that represent the viewer’s interests, replicating the logic of the attention economy. As the viewer becomes further and further enclosed by these uncanny images, they are faced with the challenge of escaping from their grasp. Deep Dive is an extension of a previous project called Deep Solutions, which can be viewed here.
We are looking for an experienced Unity developer to help us realize this exciting project. We would love to work with a developer who has experience working with a team of artists, or who has developed new media artworks or game art themselves. We’re interested in creative developers who are conversant with the critical issues we are exploring in the project. Work on the project will be done remotely. We will be producing this work over the course of a five month period, over which time we will hold weekly production meetings. Other than those meetings, work can be done on your own schedule according to weekly production targets. We’re looking to fill this position by November 1st – we will contact applicants for interviews as applications are received. If you’re interested in applying, please email a CV and a portfolio, along with a few words about yourself, to:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
with the subject line "Deep Dive Unity Developer Position"
What you'll do:
- Assemble an interactive 3D environment in a game engine.
- Work closely with the creative team to realize interactive components and 3D environments within the game engine
- Attend weekly production meetings and work independently to meet production goals each week
- Rapid prototyping of game mechanisms and design experiments
- Work with 3D artists to integrate assets and animations in the game engine
- Creative problem solving skills
- Experience working on new media artworks, VR/AR experiences or game art
- Experience creating and deploying a 3D game in Unity
- Experience with creating generative/procedural 3D graphics in Unity
- Experience with lighting, shaders, texturing within Unity
- Experience creating 3D assets in 3D modeling software for use in Unity
- Experience working with a creative team. Strong communication skills.
Nice to have:
- Experience deploying 3D games / environments to the web browser and across different platforms